Updated: July 8, 2020
INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you use the Services, PLASTICS collects information that identifies you, directly or indirectly (“Personal Information”), and other information. The information collected depends on the Services involved and includes information voluntarily provided by you and information collected automatically.
INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
We collect information voluntarily provided by you when you:
- Create or update your account and profile,
- Register for PLASTICS events,
- Submit an application for membership,
- Submit a job application or resume,
- Purchase any other Plastics Industry Association products or Services,
- Participate in a survey or questionnaire,
- Subscribe to marketing communications, or
- Contact us with a comment or question.
The types of information collected may include:
- Personal contact information, such as your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and fax number
- Birth date
- Interests, preferences, and demographic information (e.g., age or gender)
- Order information, such as billing and delivery information and goods or services purchased
- Credit card or other financial account information
- Login information that identifies and validates you as a user (typically a username/email address plus password)
- Employment information, such as company name and title, and information contained in resumes
- User-generated content that you post or upload, such as comments, videos, and photos
There are two types of cookies—persistent cookies and session cookies. Persistent cookies remain on a user’s device for a set period of time and are activated each time the user visits the Services where the cookies were set. Session cookies are temporary and allow us to link a user’s actions during a browser session.
Many browsers are initially set to accept cookies, but you may be able to adjust your settings to reject cookies. Choices are browser- and device-specific, and if you clear cookies from the browser on any of your devices, your opt-out choices will need to be reset. Consult the “Help” section of your browser or built-in mobile device settings for more information. Note, however, that certain areas of the Services only can be accessed when cookies are enabled. Thus, disabling cookies may prevent you from accessing some of our content.
For a listing of the different categories of cookies and other technologies used by the Services and why we use them click here. Since relationships may change, the list may not always be comprehensive or up to date. In addition, different Services use different technologies, so not all of the technologies appear on every Service.
We and our third-party advertising partners may use technology like cookies, tags, and web beacons to collect data about your use of the Services and others to provide you more relevant advertising here and elsewhere on the Internet. We or other third-party companies may then use the data to provide targeted advertisements to you. Please note that you may be subject to the privacy policies of other unaffiliated companies when you select an advertising link or other link that takes you to sites not operated by PLASTICS.
To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you can opt-out of having your web browsing information used for interest-based advertising by companies that participate in the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) or Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”), visit the NAI website (US) and the DAA Ad Choices websites (US, EU, Canada, and AU/NZ). Note, however, that not all service providers participate in the NAI and DAA. In addition, if you opt-out, you may still see online advertising from PLASTICS and third-parties, but the ads may be less relevant to you.
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We may use your information in a variety of ways, including to:
- Provide service communications such as bill reminders, order confirmations, program registrations, and customer service messages
- Respond to your emails or online requests for products, Services, or information
- Send marketing communications
- Deliver and process surveys
- Personalize, enhance, and improve Services our products, and user experience
- Fulfill an order and/or deliver PLASTICS’ products and Services and process payments
- Publish membership directories and registration lists as described below
- Tailor content, advertising, and marketing to you
- Enable you to communicate with other users of the Services
- Protect our legal rights and the rights of others, and conduct investigations
HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
Publication of Your Information for Membership Directories and Registration Lists
We may publish your personal contact information and company information through the Services and in other print or digital media, including directories, membership lists, and other types of registration lists for PLASTICS’s programs and events (“Directory Lists”). Users may request their information be suppressed from Directory Lists by contacting us.
Sharing Your Information to Fulfill Service Requests and Perform Business Functions
We may share certain information with third parties to fulfill your requests. We may also share your information with service providers that perform business functions for us. For example, PLASTICS occasionally hires other companies to assist with:
- Order fulfillment and processing
- Answering questions about products or services
- Consulting services
- Data modeling
- Hosting the Services and providing database and server maintenance and security
- Sending postal mail and email communications on our behalf
- Managing events and processing event registrations
Sharing Your Information with Certain Other Companies
PLASTICS does not sell PLASTICS data but from time to time may share offers or Services that may be of interest to our constituents.
Sharing Your Information When Legally Necessary or to Protect PLASTICS’s Interests
PLASTICS may disclose your information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to: (a) conform to legal requirements or comply with legal process served on PLASTICS; (b) protect and defend the rights or property of PLASTICS; or (c) protect the personal safety of PLASTICS personnel or members of the public in appropriate circumstances. In addition, if PLASTICS and/or its assets (or a portion of its assets) are sold, assigned, transferred, or merged, or if PLASTICS undergoes some other change including a change to its corporate form as part of a bankruptcy proceeding or otherwise, information may be transferred as part of that transaction or change.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
If you have created an account through the Services, you can access, update/correct, and delete information contained in your profile using your login information. Subject to applicable laws, you may also have the right to request deletion of your personal information or object to our processing of such information. To exercise such rights, you may email us at the address in the How to Contact Us section, below. We will handle any request to exercise your rights in accordance with applicable laws and any relevant legal exceptions. To protect your privacy and the security of your personal information, we will take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting access.
If you are a citizen of an EEA member state, we are required to identify the legal basis for which we collect, use, share, and process your personal information. We rely on the following legal bases for processing:
(1) Consent. For example, when you sign up to receive marketing communications from us. You can withdraw your consent at any time (for example, by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in an email).
(2) Our legitimate business interests. For example, to perform data analytics,
maintain system security, communicate with members and other users of the Services and respond to their questions and comments, conduct surveys, and improve the Services.
(3) Performance of a contract with you. For example, when you submit a
membership application, register for an event, or place an order.
(4) Compliance with laws.
You also have the right to contact supervisory authorities within the EEA about any concerns you have related to our privacy practices.
You can manage your email preferences, including opting out of marketing email messages, through the electronic preference center or by contacting us. You can also unsubscribe from marketing email messages using the unsubscribe link provided in our marketing communications. We will continue to send certain non-marketing email messages from time to time.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
Our servers are located in the United States. The data protection laws of some countries, such as the United States, may not offer a level of privacy protection equivalent to that within the European Economic Area or your home country. By using the Services, you consent to such the transfer of your personal information to the United States.
PLASTICS strives to implement commercially reasonable security measures to help protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure, or destruction of data. Nevertheless, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Accordingly, PLASTICS cannot guarantee the security of your information.
LINKING TO OTHER INTERNET SITES
HOW TO CONTACT US
Plastics Industry Association
1425 K Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20005
Phone: (202) 974-5200
Updated: July 8, 2020